Every day, our integrity is on the line.
While driving to a client's house in Happy Valley this morning I was listening to 97.1; the Dr. Doug and Skippy (?) show...or something like that. Mind you, I don't listen to radio that often as I prefer my Ipod. Anyways, the topic of discussion was about a guy who was married for 16 years, but had been having an affair (many or one--was not clarified) for the past 9, and had now recently had an epiphany, and wanted to be only with his loving wife and kids. The announcer then asked if he should tell his wife or take it to the grave. Many callers called in and wanted more specifics about the situation...ie. whether his mistress(es) dumped him or he her, etc, the ages of the kids etc. Children of these situations even called in. It was very interesting. I even found myself thinking, he shouldn't tell. Why? Because if he did, I'm betting a 99% of a divorce. But, would that be fair? Fair to his wife and children? If he was truely repentent, he would have to tell her, right? And what ever happens, happens. But, then i felt bad for the wife. She's the one who would be devestated (and of course the children) by the truth of the situation. Then I thought, well is it the same if if had only happen one or two times, as opposed to 9 years? Mind you, that many of the callers (including children of these situations and close relatives) said not to tell. Because it had destroyed their families. They said that if he was truly sorry, and would not do it again and be faithful, to not say anything and that was his burden to bare.
So, after the show ended...and of course they posted a poll on their website, it made me think about where I stood as a person. Not because of the infidelity aspects, but the whole honesty issue. And originally I thought that he should not tell because he was trying to save the marriage. But, then I realized, it didn't matter. He already committed the error. If he truely wanted to make ammends, he would have to tell. And sadly, she would probably leave him. I think that that is the right thing to do...or is it?
Or should we just not get ourselves into these prediciaments in the first place. And when we see ourselves falling, that we go to our loved ones and tell them and get help. I think it's selfish for us to believe that what we do on a daily basis or behind closed doors, does not affect anyone else. Unfortunately, I'm just as guilty.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The Reason...
A blog about my thoughts, feelings, expressions and opinions regarding my hardships and joys; activities and daily grind; and relationships with humankind.
About Me
- Jana
- I have been married for 5 and 1/2 years. Step-mom of two; a 16-year old son who lives with us, and 13-year old daughter who lives with her mom 25 minutes away. I am an animal lover and have 3 dogs and 1 cat whom I share with my husband. My interest and passions are listed below, but I wanted to note that I can't wait to learn to white water kayak! I love being overwhelmed by breath taking views, meeting new people, spending time with loved ones and also spending time alone to reflect. I will generally try most anything... I believe that we have one chance to learn and grow and feel and live as much as we can. For when its our time to pass on, we just take our memories. Life's to amazing to not make mistakes (and I've made plenty), to not try, to not experience. To not share.

5 comments:
Hey...cool blog...I really like the couch! And...after reading your blog, I know why...I feel like I'm in a therapy session.
Seriously, you are a very deep thinking person and you articulate what you say extremely well. You've always been great at writing...so I've decided that you need to write a book or something (magazine, newspaper). You have a lot to say that should be heard. So, I'll be the first to say that I will buy your first copy. Love you alot - you're awsome!
For the record...(your post)I wouldn't tell just yet. The wife would be crushed. I would wait another 20 years when I have been clean, and then tell, then it's not such a big deal because it happend so long ago and he's proved he can be clean. Then he is being honest.
Hey Our Family,
Thanks for the comment. 20 years, huh? Or just a long while. So you think its more important to keep the family intact if the husband was truly repentant...
thanks again!
As much as it is terrible to destroy families, spouses deserve to know the actions of who they are choosing to love. The truth must always be told when it comes to affairs. As much as I felt cheated when I found out my spouse was cheating on me (and I wanted to work things out), I would have felt much more cheated had I given my entire life to a man and never known about his infidelities.
Andrea,
Would it have been different had it not been a 9 year affair versus a couple of one night stands? And, all things taken into consideration... Knowing what you know now... Would you choose to have kept living your blissful marrige had u never known about your ex's affairs, had he straightened out n never repeated them? Sometimes they say ignorance is bliss. And you've said that you had the perfect relationship/marrige until such n such at the end...what if he kept the show going indefinitely? In a sense he was never honest? Not just to you, but to himself, Right? Just wondering.
Post a Comment