I was reading this month's issue of Women's Health Magazine and came upon an aritcle titled "the next big thing." I was happily surprised and somewhat amazed at where science and technology (or R&D) is taking us in respects to our health. :) The article was giving us a heads up on what new medicines (i use that term loosely) will be coming our way...
Here's a few...
Male birth control: a chemical that supresses the hormone responsible for sperm production. When he stops taking it, sperm comes back. There is also a development of a "temporary vasectomy". The doctor doesn't actually snip the tubes, but implants a clip the pinches it shut...much like an IUD for women. The male pill should come out in 5 years (to be tested still tested on humans), the clip in 1 (there double checking that sperm flows after the clip is removed).
Condomless STD Prevention: A new gel (aka Amphora) coats your vaginal walls, killing STD's on contact but leaves a woman's body's natural bacteria alone. It is also a contraceptive. Up to 12 hours before, it can be inserted on the cervix with a device. Amphora's clinical trials are expected to take two more years. With success, there should be an over-the-counter from the FDA in 2011.
I think this one is way cool.... :)
Female Viagra: A German company has developed flibanserin which reduces serotonin at the receptor in the brain responsible for sexual desire. Sereotonin supresses dopamine which in turn stimulates arousal. By decreasing the serotonin, dopamine can do what us females need it to do! :) The clinical trials should be completed and determined by the end of this year, which means it could be reviewed by the FDA and on the market by late 2009.
Needle-Free Blood Sugar Test: A new contact lens, that also corrects poor vision, contains a photonic crystal that changes color when the glucose level of your tears increases or decreases. You just have to look in mirror to know your blood sugar status. And it also lets you continually monitor it. :) Getting ready for clinical trials, and expected approval could take another 2. 4 years.
For the entire article see Womens' Health July/August 2008, pg 98. Written by Colleen Oakley.
www.womenshealthmag.com
Anyways, thought these were very cool!
8:49 AM
Thank Heavens for Science!
Posted by
Jana
|
Labels:
birth control,
contraceptive,
health,
science,
STD's,
viagra,
women,
women's health
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The Reason...
A blog about my thoughts, feelings, expressions and opinions regarding my hardships and joys; activities and daily grind; and relationships with humankind.
About Me
- Jana
- I have been married for 5 and 1/2 years. Step-mom of two; a 16-year old son who lives with us, and 13-year old daughter who lives with her mom 25 minutes away. I am an animal lover and have 3 dogs and 1 cat whom I share with my husband. My interest and passions are listed below, but I wanted to note that I can't wait to learn to white water kayak! I love being overwhelmed by breath taking views, meeting new people, spending time with loved ones and also spending time alone to reflect. I will generally try most anything... I believe that we have one chance to learn and grow and feel and live as much as we can. For when its our time to pass on, we just take our memories. Life's to amazing to not make mistakes (and I've made plenty), to not try, to not experience. To not share.

0 comments:
Post a Comment